Poland is becoming an attractive and affordable option for international students studying abroad. Students from all over the world are attracted to the country’s prestigious universities, low tuition, affordable housing and living costs. Poland primarily draws students from Europe, particularly Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and Russia.  However, it is steadily attracting international students from the United States and the United Kingdom.

Poland also has a long academic tradition with currently twelve universities listed in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. Students can find numerous courses taught in English, French, German and Polish.  With over 50% of Poles speaking English, students will find it much easier to study and settle into life while in Poland.  Most importantly, tuition at Polish universities is considerably lower than other study destinations.  Students will even find that Medical School is much more affordable in Poland compared to medical studies in the United States or Canada.

Important Facts

Tuition Range for Universities in Poland

Fees at public and private universities are established by the institution under the condition that they cannot be lower than the costs of education process.

Public and Private tuition information is provided below:

EU/EEA – Students from Europe and Polish citizens can study at state higher education institutions in Poland for FREE.

Non-EU/EEA – The tuition fees for international students ranges from $2,415 to $7,245 per year depending on the institution and program of study.  MBA programs range in cost from $9,660 to $14,490 per year.

You can find a list of some universities in Poland with tuition information by university here. 

Academic Calendar

Winter Semester

October – February

Summer Semester

Mid February – June

General Admission Requirements

General admission requirements for international students applying to a university in Poland are provided below:

Bachelor Degrees

  • Notarized high school diploma
  • Completed application form
  • Photocopy of passport
  • 4 passport-size photographs
  • Proof of English scores from IELTS test if English is not your first language. 
  • Admission fees paid

Master’s Degrees

  • Undergraduate diploma
  • CV documenting work history and experience
  • Academic or personal reference letter
  • Completed application
  • photocopy of passport
  • 4 passport-size photographs
  • Proof of English language proficiency if English is not your first language
  • Admission fee paid in full

*Students are advised to confirm with the university if other documents are needed to apply. 

Accordion Sample Description

Health Insurance Requirements for Students in Poland


EU/EEA Students – are entitled to free medical care in Poland with a valid medical insurance card from their home country. 

Required documents include:

  • Valid passport
  • Student identity card
  • Valid European Health Insurance Card 

Non-EU/EEA Students – will need to buy private international medical insurance that is valid in Poland for the duration of their planned stay.  The minimum amount of insurance needs to be for at least $36,000. The insurance may be issued by any foreign or domestic insurance company as long as it can be applied to medical care in Poland.

Visa & Resident Permit Requirements


Visa Requirements


Students from the EU need to have a valid passport confirming identity and citizenship.  You will need to have a passport with you if you intent on travelling to non EU countries during your stay in Poland.


Non-EU students need to have a valid passport and visa (if required.) Your visa must also be valid for the entirety of your stay while in Poland.

How to get a visa

Citizens from the following countries do not need a visa to enter when staying in Poland for less than 90 days: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Croatia, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Salvador, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, United States of America, Uruguay, Vatican and Venezuela.

It is important to confirm before leaving for Poland if you will need a visa to enter the country in addition to a passport. You can find a Polish Consulate in your country at the following website http://mfa.gov.pl. You will need to register through the website to setup an appointment.  

You will need to take the following documents with you to your appointment:

  • application form,
  • passport,
  • biometric photo,
  • proof of health insurance,
  • proof that you will have the ability to support yourself while in Poland,
  • documents confirming the purpose of your stay.

*Please note that some consulates may require specific documentation.

Submit all the documents including a printed and signed application form and the visa fee. The process usually takes up to 15 days for it to be reviewed.

You can find more information on the following government website http://www.msz.gov.pl

Resident Permit

Non-EU Students – require a resident permit

You will apply for your Temporary Residence Permit with the local Voivodship Office as soon as you arrive in Poland.  The link to the website is here:  http://www.migrant.info.pl/

You need to apply for the residence permit before your visa expires. 

The first residence permit will be issued for 15 months.

The following documents are required:

  •  Application form
  • Passport
  • Proof of Address in Poland
  • Admission letter from university
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay
  • Procedure costs $112 

EU Students – do not require resident permit

EU Students will need to register their stay with the local Voivodship office within 90 days of arrival. 


Housing Options for Students in Poland

Students have several housing options while studying Poland. 


Many Polish universities have their own dormitories and are usually cheapest  housing option for students. However, before committing to a dormitory at a university, it is best to do your research and the standards vary depending on the institution.  Dormitory housing costs range from $72 to $96 monthly for a shared room and around $120 to $180 a month for a single room.  

Flat Share and Private Rental

Many international students opt to share a flat with other students or rent a private apartment.  The average monthly rent for a flat share costs between $180 and $240.  The monthly cost of renting a private flat depends on the location and its size. On average the cost of a small one room flat is around $360 to $431 per month.  

Accordion Sample Description

Poland Articles