Study Abroad Sweden

Study Abroad Sweden

If you desire an international study experience in English, Sweden is a good option.  Almost everyone speaks English in Sweden.  You will also find that Sweden has a long and proud history of academic excellence. While the country may be small in population, it is home to some of the world’s best universities. Several universities in Sweden are ranked in the Times World University Rankings as being among the best in the world. The Karolinska Institute, Lund University, Uppsala University, Stockholm University and KTH Royal Institute of Technology were ranked among the top 200 best universities in the world.

Tuition & Fees for Universities in Sweden

EU/EEA Students: Students are not required to pay application or tuition fees. However, students are required to show proof of citizenship in order for the application to be processed.

Non-EU/EEA Students: Students from Non-EU/EEA countries are expected to pay application and tuition fees.

Public Universities

  • Bachelor’s Degree: Between $6,178 to $17,600 USD annually
  • Master’s Degree: $10,060 and $23,892 USD annually

Private Universities

  • Bachelor’s Degree: Between $9,810 to $14,600 USD annually
  • Master’s Degree: $10,060 and $23,892 USD annually

Application Fee: 900 SK ($113 USD)

Application Requirements and Deadlines for Sweden

 Application Deadlines

  • BEGINS October 17th (Applicants can begin submitting applications online)
  • ENDS January 17th (Applications must be submitted by Midnight)
  • BEGINS March 15th (Applicants can begin submitting applications online)
  • ENDS April 18th

 Where to Apply

All students must apply to universities in Sweden through the www.UniversityAdmissions.SE website.

Application Requirements

 Bachelor Degree Entry Requirements

A student must meet certain general entry requirements in order to be eligible to apply to a program in Sweden.  If you are applying to a program in English you will need to have taken a certain number of courses in English.

Bachelor’s level students must meet the following requirements to be eligible to apply:

  • Proof of completion of secondary level education (high school diploma)
  • Proficient level of English (Equivalent to a English 6/English B Swedish upper secondary course.)
  • You will need to prove at least 10 years of mathematics studies. (Swedish courses Mathematics 1a, 1b or 1c / Mathematics A. For Students who have received final grades after Dec 31st, 2009.)

*Certain programs and courses also have specific requirements.  It is important for students to verify program requirements with the school.  You can find these requirements in the program search section of the UniversityAdmissions.SE website.

Master’s Degree Requirements

  • Master’s degree seeking students must have a Bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply to a postgraduate program in Sweden.
  • Students must also be able to demonstrate English proficiency if not a native speaker, in the form of a test such as the TOEFL, or the IELTS.

*Certain courses or programs may also have certain requirements.  You can find these requirements by going directly to the course or program website with the university or by searching on the UniversityAdmissions.SE website for the program or course.

Financing Your Studies in Sweden

Student’s have the following options for financing their study abroad experience in Sweden:

Financial Aid

The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Graduate Plus Loans available to eligible student borrowers at participating institutions in France. Students may apply for a Direct Unsubsidized Loan up to $20,500 per academic year or a Graduate Plus loan (amounts vary).

The following institutions participate in the U.S. Government Federal William D. Ford Direct Loan Program:
  • Karolinska Institutet (deferment only)
  • Lund University
  • Uppsala University


The website offers a comprehensive list of scholarships available to international students from around the world.  You will find the tool to be very intuitive and easy to use. Select your country and start searching for scholarships today.

Grants & Loans

The Swedish National Board of Student Aid is the government agency responsible for government student loans grants.  In a certain instances where a student cannot qualify for a loan or grant through this organization, then a student will look to a private lending organization.

Student Jobs

Non-EU/EEA students are able to work while studying in Sweden.  There is no official limitation to the number of hours a student is allowed to work.  However, students are expected to keep up with their studies while working.

Health Insurance for International Students in Sweden

As an international student in Sweden you will need health insurance to study in the country.

EU/EEA Students – Will need to obtain a European Health Insurance card from their home country before arriving in Sweden.  If you have not registered with your home country’s social insurance program, you will need to arrange private insurance.

Non-EU/EEA Students – If you will be studying in Sweden for a year or longer you are entitled to the same health insurance benefits as Swedish citizens.  Once you are in the country, you will need to register with your local tax agency to get issued your personal identification number.  The application process can take some time, however, while waiting you are fully covered for any medical expenses incurred while in the country.

The insurance will be active during your time in school.  It is valid two weeks prior to you beginning studies and two weeks after completing your studies. You will also be covered under this insurance during your direct travel between Sweden and your home country. If you are a Schengen Visa holder you have coverage within the Schengen region. However, if you do not have a Schengen Visa, the insurance is only valid while you are in Sweden.   You can find detailed information about the insurance at FAS website.

If  you are in the country for less than one year you will not have automatic access to healthcare.  You may be able to obtain health insurance from your university through the Swedish State Insurance Agency’s (Kammarkollegiet) plan.  You will need to confirm with your university before entering the country.

Residence Permits and Visas for Studying in Sweden

Generally all students from outside EU/EEA countries, will need a visa or resident permit to study in Sweden.

Obtaining a student visa in Sweden varies depending on a student’s country of citizenship.

Non-EU/EEA Students

 For Stays Less than 3 Months

  • A residence permit is not required. Although, students must obtain a valid visa before entering the country.
  • If you have been accepted to a university in Sweden, you should apply for your visa as soon as possible since it can take several weeks to process.

Longer than 3 Months

If you are accepted to studies in Sweden lasting more than three months, you should apply for a residence permit for studies – not a visa!

Applications for residence permits are processed by the Swedish Migration Agency, NOT the University. The residence permit application is your responsibility. You can apply for the resident permit online at the Swedish Migration Agency’s (Migrationsverket) website. 

Resident Permit Requirements

You will need to meet the following requirements to be granted a resident permit:

  • Have been admitted into a full-time program with a university in Sweden (distance courses do not qualify).
  • Have health insurance to cover the entire time of your studies while in the country.
  • You will need to be able to support your self and be able to pay for your tuition while in Sweden.  It is recommended that students have at least 8,010 SEK ($1000) per month.
  • Have a valid passport.

You May Also Like:

10 Reasons Why You Should Study in Sweden

Questions to ask Yourself Before Choosing a Study Abroad Program

Strategies to Finding Affordable Study Abroad Opportunities

Comments are closed.